Saturday, October 6, 2012

One year


One year ago I had surgery to removed cancer from my body. It seems like a bad dream now. I hope to never see that waiting room and those surgeons again. All lovely people but a place I never want to re-visit.  A place I wish no women ever had to visit!

In this month of October the pink ribbon is everywhere.  I was lucky that I pay attention to my body and noticed right away when something was wrong – not everyone does. So if the pinkness of October reminds someone to get a mammogram or to go get that lump checked, then let October be pink! I am the shining example of how early detection can make a big difference in treatment.

Next weekend I, along with family and friends, are walking in the Making Strides for Breast Cancer walk in Boston. I’ve raised $465!  I heard about this charity walk last year. It was the week of my surgery and my cube neighbor, an older man, put a card and his pin from the walk on my desk. The pin is pink and says “I walk in honor of…” and you write in a person’s name. He had written my name.

Also it’s the American Cancer Society behind this charity event and I used their services last year. When I was freaking out in the weeks leading up to my surgery I needed someone to talk to who had been through this. I think it was easier to talk to a stranger. Roberta called me weekly for about a month and a half, starting before my surgery and ending when I got my pathology results that I wouldn’t need chemo. She was matter of fact and told me step by step how I’d feel after surgery, a week later, two weeks later etc. It made me feel better. It was a big help and I want to give back to that organization. If you’d like to donate the link to my fundraising page is below


One year cancer free!  And many more to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment